BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 3, 2009

The Nursery Is Really Coming Along!

And I love it!!! Eric and I have finished one wall (paint and chair rail). I wasn't totally sold on the color of the chair rail last night, but after sleeping on it and looking at it again in the day light, it has really grown on me. Thanks to a manual miter saw (we couldn't quite justify buying a power one!) and some wood filler, the chair rail looks perfect. You can barely tell where the two pieces are joined together, unless you're standing in the room and looking for it! Eric and I had our first experience with the coping saw today. Not easy, but we finally got it. The coping saw allows us to join the rails on perpendicular walls together like a puzzle instead of having to cut mitered corners. (Wow, I'm starting to sound like Bob Vila! Ok, maybe I'm not quite that good yet!!). Anyway, you have to trace the profile of the rail onto the back of another rail and cut it out perfectly so they'll fit together. I wouldn't say our was PERFECT, but darn close. Thanks to our trusty old friend, wood filler, and some fresh paint you won't be able to tell!

Today I also ran to Joann's Fabrics to look for some more airplane stuff. I ended up buying a bookshelf to hang on the wall for $9. I got some little wood plane cutouts for about $0.50 each. When I got home I used some of the white paint left over from the dresser to paint the bookshelf, and the pink paint we're using for the chair rail to paint the little planes. A little glue, and VOILA, a really really cute bookshelf that goes perfectly in our nursery. I'm going to make another one tomorrow. Not quite sure where I'm going to hang them yet, but we'll figure that out later.

I'm having a blast working on the nursery. I love to work with my hands, and painting and making little things for the nursery satisfies my crafty side! So far, the nursery is coming together just how I'd pictured it!

Here are some more pictures of our progress...


One wall finished...a lot more to go!


Bookshelf after being painted white


With pink planes added :)

0 comments: